In 1967, we pioneered commercial development of Canada's oil sands – one of the largest petroleum resource basins in the world. Since then, Suncor has grown to become a globally competitive integrated energy company with a balanced portfolio of high-quality assets, a strong balance sheet and significant growth prospects. Across our operations, we intend to achieve production of one million barrels of oil equivalent per day.
- Near Fort McMurray, Alta., in the Athabasca region, Suncor extracts and upgrades oil sands into high-quality, refinery-ready crude oil products and diesel fuel.
- Across Canada and in Colorado, Suncor markets the company's refined products to industrial, commercial and retail customers. In Canada, our network of more than 1,450 Petro-Canada stations is one of the most customer-recognized, top-volume retailers in the country. We have refineries in Edmonton, Alta.; Sarnia, Ont.; Montreal, Que.; and Commerce City, Colo.
- In Western Canada, across the East Coast of Canada and internationally, Suncor explores for, develops and produces conventional oil and natural gas – from both onshore and offshore developments.
- On February 1, 2017 Suncor Energy announced it had closed the sale of its Petro-Canada Lubricants business to a subsidiary of Holly Frontier Corporation.
Suncor is also investing in clean, renewable energy sources.
- Suncor has four wind power projects in operation with a total capacity of over 100 megawatts (MW).
- Suncor's St. Clair, Ont. ethanol facility, Canada’s largest biofuels plant, has a current production capacity of 400 million litres per year. The ethanol is blended into our Petro-Canada™ gasoline and contributes to avoidance of up to 600,000 tonnes of CO2 emissions per year.
- Suncor is currently evaluating solar energy investment opportunities.