Suncor is committed to increasing renewable energy generation in Canada and building best-in-class wind energy projects.
Suncor Energy and Aamjiwnaang First Nation have partnered on the Adelaide Wind Power Project with Aamjiwnaang First Nation holding a 25% interest in the project.
In July 2011, the Project was awarded a 40 MW, 20-year term power purchase contract with the Ontario government. Our Adelaide Wind Power Project – located north of Strathroy, Ontario – received a Renewable Energy Approval from the Ministry of the Environment in December 2013. Suncor has been developing this project since signing the first agreement with a local landowner in 2008.
The Adelaide project is now in operation.
In July 2011, the Project was awarded a 40 MW, 20-year term Feed in Tariff (FIT) power purchase contract by the Ontario Power Authority.
The Project consists of 18 wind turbines and includes meteorological towers, an electrical collection system, a substation, turbine access roads, and temporary construction facilities.
Suncor conducted two public meetings in 2012. Display boards and comments received at these meetings and Suncor’s responses to them can be found in the following PDF documents:
The Adelaide Wind Power Project is located on privately owned lands located within the Municipality of Adelaide Metcalfe, County of Middlesex, Ontario. Strathroy is the largest town in proximity to the project and is approximately 5 kilometres away. London, the largest city centre in this area, is approximately 40 kilometres east of the project.
The figure below identifies the location of the Project and the area that has been studied. Click map to view larger (PDF, 1 pp., 1.36 MB).
On December 11, 2013, Suncor received a Renewable Energy Approval (REA) from the Ministry of the Environment under the Ontario Green Energy Act for the project. This is a major milestone in the development and advancement of our project. Suncor's REA was approved for 18 turbines to be built from 22 possible locations. As a result of consultation activities, potential effects assessment and detailed design/engineering work; we have selected 16, 23, 24 and 28 as the alternate turbines. An alternate turbine location would only be constructed in the event that a Primary turbine location could not be constructed for any reason.
Download the Suncor Adelaide REA (PDF, 28 pp., 3,099 KB)
Download the Suncor Adelaide REA Amendment (PDF, 4 pp., 263 KB)
REA Amendment - September 2016
- REA Amendment (PDF, 3 pp., 194 KB)
- Notice of Project Change (PDF, 1 pp., 214 KB)
- REA Amendment Package (PDF, 41 pp., 7 MB)
REA Application Documents
Posted April 2013
Copies of the following Final REA Reports are also available at the Adelaide Metcalfe Township Office at 2340 Egremont Drive, Strathroy, Ontario.
- Project Description Report (PDF, 51 pp., 4,194 KB)
- Construction Plan Report (PDF, 34 pp., 4,127 KB)
- Design and Operations Report
- Main Report (PDF, 28 pp., 796 KB)
- Appendix A (PDF, 8 pp., 3,309 KB)
- *Updated* Appendix B (PDF, 124 pp., 12,800 KB)
- Appendix C (PDF, 33 pp., 776 KB)
- Appendix D (PDF, 18 pp., 4,074 KB)
- Appendix E (PDF, 2 pp., 94 KB)
- Decommissioning Plan Report (PDF, 14 pp., 561 KB)
- Wind Turbine Specifications Report (PDF, 15 pp., 630 KB)
- Water Body and Water Assessment Report
- Main Report (PDF, 40 pp., 371 KB)
- Appendix A (PDF, 28 pp., 7,083 KB)
- Appendix B (PDF, 22 pp., ,18,693 KB)
- Appendix C (PDF, 19 pp., 3,424 KB)
- Appendix D (PDF, 31 pp., 4,540 KB)
- Appendix E (PDF, 16 pp., 285 KB)
- Appendix F (PDF, 12 pp., 166 KB)
- Natural Heritage Assessment and Environmental Impact Study:
- Main Report (PDF, 138 pp., 2,470 KB)
- Appendix A - Figures (PDF, 38 pp., 19,266 KB)
- Appendix B - Tables (PDF, 51 pp., 1,266 KB)
- Appendix C - Plant List (PDF, 19 pp., 314 KB)
- Appendix D - Wildlife List (PDF, 12 pp., 84 KB)
- Appendix E - Field Notes (PDF, 164 pp., 24,863 KB)
- Appendix F - Field Notes (Golder Associates) (PDF, 44 pp., 2,867 KB)
- Appendix G - Curriculum Vitae (PDF, 16 pp., 540 KB)
- Appendix H - Confirmation Letter and addendum (PDF, 12 pp., 1,354 KB)
- *New* Appendix H1 - Modification February 2013 (PDF, 4 pp., 918 KB)
- Archaeological and Heritage Assessments
- Heritage Assessment Report (PDF, 83 pp., 8,172 KB)
- Stage 1 Archaeological Assessment (PDF, 57 pp., 6,597 KB)
- Stage 2 Archaeological Assessment (PDF, 185 pp., 18,136 KB)
- Stage 2 Archaeological Addendum (PDF, 38 pp., 7,078 KB)
- Consultation Report (PDF, 253 pp., 9,468 KB)
- Detailed Sound Contour Map - Final (PDF, 1 pp., 5,444 KB)
- Modification Report
- (New) Modification Notice May 2014 (PDF, 1 pp., 677 KB)
- (New) Modification Document May 2014 (PDF, 5 pp., 1.18 MB)
- Modification Notice November 2013 (PDF, 1 pp., 697 KB)
- Modification Document November 2013 (PDF, 79 pp., 6 MB)
Additional documents include:
Application for an Electricity Wholesaler License
The IESO is mandating all renewable energy to become dispatchable into the Ontario electricity market. Suncor Energy Marketing Inc. (SEMI) a wholly owned subsidiary of Suncor Energy Inc. has applied to the Ontario Energy Board (OEB) for an Electricity Wholesaler License to act as marketing agent for the Suncor Adelaide Wind Limited Partnership. SEMI has a full time marketing desk that will handle all energy pricing and dispatches associated with the project. In accordance with the OEB’s Letter of Direction dated June 9, 2014, a copy of the Notice of Application and Written Hearing, case number EB -2014-0184, is posted below. Additional details can be found on the OEB website.
Application for an Electricity Generation License
Suncor Adelaide Wind Limited Partnership has applied to the Ontario Energy Board (OEB) for an Electricity Generation License to facilitate electricity generation from its Adelaide wind project. Suncor has applied under the streamlined process for Generators that have a Feed-in-Tariff contract with the Ontario Power Authority. In accordance with the OEB’s Letter of Direction dated July 9, 2014, a copy of the Notice of Application and Written Hearing, case number EB -2014-0230, is posted below. Additional details can be found on the OEB website.
Suncor has established our Adelaide Community Liaison Committee (CLC) to provide the community with regular project updates and to find out more about the construction, installation, use, operation, maintenance and retirement of our project. Suncor will be hosting meetings throughout the next couple of years. The meetings will be held from 6 p.m. - 8 p.m. at the Township of Adelaide Metcalfe, Banquet facility at 2340 Egremont Drive, Strathroy. These meetings are open to the public. If you want to find out more about the Committee, contact firstname.lastname@example.org or call 1-866-344-0178.
May 7, 2014 CLC Meeting (#1):
- 2014-05-07 Agenda Adelaide CLC (PDF, 1 pp., 146 KB)
- 2014-05-07 Minutes Adelaide CLC (PDF, 4 pp., 198 KB)
- 2014-05-07 Presentation CLC (PDF, 21 pp., 4.9 MB)
- Adelaide Traffic Management Plan (PDF, 24 pp., 1.5 MB)
Oct. 23, 2014 CLC Meeting (#2):
- 2014-10-23 Agenda Adelaide CLC (PDF, 1 pp., 146 KB )
- 2014-10-23 Minutes Adelaide CLC (PDF, 3 pp., 174 KB)
- 2014-10-23 Suncor Presentation CLC (PDF, 24 pp., 4.9 MB)
Mar. 18, 2015 CLC Meeting (#3):
- 2015-03-18 Agenda Adelaide CLC (PDF, 1 pp., 69 KB)
- 2015-03-18 Minutes Adelaide CLC (PDF, 4 pp., 245 KB)
- 2015-03-18 Presentation CLC (PDF, 15 pp., 1.5 MB)
Oct. 1, 2015 CLC Meeting (#4)
In an effort to help residents better understand the project, Suncor conducted visual simulations at five key locations.