Suncor Energy's refining and marketing operations provide a vital link between our large Canadian resource base and the growing North American energy market. We process oil sands crude into the high-quality refined products that consumers demand.
Suncor operates refineries in Alberta, Ontario and Quebec, Canada, and in Colorado, USA.
- Edmonton, Alta.: 142,000-barrel-per-day refinery runs entirely on oil sands-based feedstocks and produces a high yield of light oils
- Montreal, Que.: 137,000-barrel-per-day refinery produces gasoline, distillates, asphalts, heavy fuel oil, petrochemicals, solvents and feedstock for lubricants. A nearby sulphur processing plant ensures environmental compliance
- Commerce City, Colo.: 98,000-barrel-per-day refinery produces gasoline, diesel fuel and paving-grade asphalt
- Sarnia, Ont.: 85,000-barrel-per-day refinery produces gasoline, kerosene, jet and diesel fuels
We've completed major improvements to our refineries, greatly increasing the amount of oil sands crude that can be refined, while improving environmental performance.
- The Edmonton refinery has been optimized for processing oil sands crude feedstocks.
- At the Sarnia refinery, a $1 billion investment in new equipment has enabled the production of lower sulphur diesel fuel and improved operational efficiency.
- At the Commerce City refinery, a $540 million (US $445 million) upgrade has enabled the refinery to meet clean fuels regulations and handle a wider range of oil sands products.