Suncor’s funding priorities reflect our commitment to be actively engaged in the development of sustainable communities in our key operating areas.
To help communities achieve greater sustainability, Suncor and the Suncor Energy Foundation invest in integrated initiatives that allow unconventional solutions to surface which are key to developing vibrant, sustainable communities — now and for generations to come.
Preference and priority is provided to initiatives that:
- Involve multiple organizations and/or work across sectors or disciplines
- Influence one or more program focus areas
- Support the development of people, organizations and processes needed to address community issues
- Include a commitment to measure outcomes associated with the investment.
Building leadership capacity at the community level creates a highly engaged, stable non-profit sector capable of contributing to collaborative solutions and sustainable communities.
Investments in Cultivating Community Leaders will be directed toward programs that:
- Develop community leaders and create stability in the social sector
- Participate in the process of connecting people and ideas to mobilize action
- Support shared spaces that allow organizations to share resources and save on operational costs.
An educated, prepared workforce supports the talent needs of our company, the industry and our communities of interest. We believe an educated community is an engaged community.
Investments in Building Skills and Knowledge will be directed toward key initiatives and organizations that:
- Inspire future generations to see the possibility for careers in the energy sector
- Cultivate a sustainability mindset with our current and future workforce
- Develop a workforce with the ability to discover solutions using unconventional thinking
- Focus on critical opportunities in Aboriginal education
Artistic expression opens new outlets of creativity and can help represent community issues and opportunities in a new way. Through art, we can mobilize communities around a need for change.
Inspiring Innovation investments will be centered around collaborative programs that:
- Foster creative thinking and innovation to support the development of sustainable communities
- Expand community capability through innovative and engaging arts programs
- Promote the intersection between the arts and other disciplines to promote sustainability solutions.
- Supporting the community involvement efforts of employees and retirees
- Investing in innovative initiatives designed to mobilize volunteers.
- Employees and retirees to foster a deeper commitment to community
- Provide community organizations with access to the highly skilled volunteers
- Build the talents and skills of the organizations and the participating employees.
- Support employee and retiree community participation through the SunCares Program and United Way
- Provide the ability for employees and their families to volunteer
- Offer opportunities to learn about key community issues and gain new skills
- Encourage employees and retirees to foster a deeper commitment to community.
Suncor contributes to the development of our energy future by:
- Creating a space where complex issues can be explored
- Collaborating on change initiatives and investing in the resulting solutions
- Developing the capabilities of engaged people and organizations to prepare them to support the change process
- Sharing key learnings with others doing similar work.
- We recognize that we are not experts in this work but seek to shape this program area in cooperation with our partners.