We don’t just work here, we live here, too. That’s why Suncor is committed to using its strengths and capabilities as an integrated energy company to actively engage in the creation of strong, sustainable communities.
Click the images to read our stories:
At Suncor, we define a sustainable community as a place where:
- There is a high quality of life that attracts people to the community and keeps them there
- There is an abundance of clean, natural resources
- There is ample economic opportunity.
To help our communities achieve a sustainable state, we focus on building qualities within a community that support the process of transforming behaviours. We believe that sustainable communities must have:
- A stable and strong non-profit sector that is prepared to be bold in how they address social issues
- Inspired community leaders who can unite a community and lead social change
- Confidence to conceive of, develop and implement unconventional solutions for community issues
- A desire from residents to be involved in the process of improving the quality of life in their community
- A willingness from individuals and organizations to adopt a collective agenda for community improvement.
Suncor invests in building sustainable communities in three ways:
Sponsorships. Suncor supports non-profit activities and events by providing financial assistance, product or in-kind contributions in Canada and internationally.
Charitable donations. Suncor contributes to registered Canadian charities through the Suncor Energy Foundation.
Employee programs. The charitable giving and volunteer efforts of our employees and retirees strengthen the communities in which Suncor operates. To show our appreciation for their efforts, Suncor’s employee grants program recognizes, and supplements, their community work and charitable giving.
Learn more about community investment in our 2014 Report on Sustainability