Suncor's commitment to people starts in the workplace and extends into the communities where we operate. Nothing is more important than protecting ourselves and others from harm. That means safety is never compromised. If we can't do it safely, we don't do it.
A number of initiatives are aimed at ensuring a safe and healthy environment for employees, contractors and residents:
- Changing the work culture. Suncor insists that our employees and contractors make safety their personal responsibility. We introduced this approach in 2002 with the launch of Journey to Zero — a company-wide program aimed at eliminating workplace injuries.
- Recognizing those who do it right. Suncor's annual President's Operational Excellence Awards honour the employees and contractors who demonstrate an exceptional commitment to health and safety.
- Sharing resources in an emergency. Suncor is part of regional mutual aid agreements in Wood Buffalo (Alberta), Sarnia (Ontario) and Commerce City (Colorado) that see industry participants coordinate and share emergency response resources with each other and with the municipality.
- Integrated planning. Suncor integrates environment, health and safety considerations into plans, designs, practices and performance programs.
- Striving to improve. At Suncor, we're always looking to improve on our past performance, including how to make our work sites and practices more efficient and safe. We do this by sharing best practices and lessons learned across the organization.