Petro-Canada Issues Its 2008-2009 Report to Community
CALGARY, ALBERTA--(Marketwire - July 8, 2009) - Petro-Canada today released its 2008-2009 Report to the Community, outlining priorities and performance relative to commitments made in the Company's Principles for Responsible Investment and Operations. This year's Report to the Community includes articles on Petro-Canada's commitment to the community as well as the company's focus and approach to process safety.
Highlights from 2008-2009 include:
- continuing to be amongst the top safety performers in the energy sector;
- contributing nearly $14 million to community partnerships, including nearly $2 million to launch three new water partnerships;
- piloting a World Business Council for Sustainable Development framework to guide sustainable development investment in Libya;
- undertaking Project Homeless Connect, a one day event to be held four times in 2009 in Calgary, where homeless or at risk individuals and families can access services from more than 50 agencies;
- activating the Athlete Family Program as well as the Fuelling Athletes and Coaching Excellence (FACE) grants for the Vancouver 2010 Olympic and Paralympic Winter Games; and,
- participating in Alberta's carbon offsets market and an initiative to identify deep saline aquifers in Western Canada that could be used in a carbon sequestration pilot project.
"Petro-Canada continues to demonstrate a commitment towards developing its resources responsibly, especially during these challenging economic times and as environmental expectations increase," said Ron Brenneman, Petro-Canada's President and Chief Executive Officer. "Part of having the strength to deliver on our sustainability commitments is making sure we follow through on the performance targets we set for ourselves each year."
As an environmentally-friendly initiative, Petro-Canada continues to condense its print version of the Report to the Community to only include highlights and information of general interest. A downloadable version of the report, more detail and accompanying data sheets are available on the Company's website at www.petro-canada.ca. If you would like a print copy, please contact Sue Binsted at (403) 296-6793. If you have feedback on the report, please email us comments at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Petro-Canada is one of Canada's largest oil and gas companies, operating in both the upstream and the downstream sectors of the industry in Canada and internationally. The Company creates value by responsibly developing energy resources and providing world class petroleum products and services. Petro-Canada is proud to be a National Partner to the Vancouver 2010 Olympic and Paralympic Winter Games. Petro-Canada's common shares trade on the Toronto Stock Exchange under the symbol PCA and on the New York Stock Exchange under the symbol PCZ.
For more information please contact:Media and general inquiries:
Victoria Barrington, Corporate Communications
Investor and analyst inquiries:
Lisa McMahon, Investor Relations