As Canada’s leading integrated energy company, we know that, together with our stakeholders, we need to look beyond the energy needs of today and understand what is required for the future. Sustainability is about seeing the big picture and working together towards better, more sustainable solutions.
- Suncor is tackling both global environmental issues such as greenhouse gas emissions and regional issues such as land use, reclamation, water use and air quality.
- We work with industry, governments and community groups to earn and maintain the trust of residents in communities where we operate. We have a Canadian Aboriginal relations policy and strategy which takes into account Aboriginal Peoples’ interests regarding the opportunities and impacts of energy development.
- We're also investing in renewable energy – seven operating wind power projects and Canada's largest ethanol plant.
- The Suncor Energy Foundation and our partnerships support resilience, skill development and social well-being in the communities around us. Over the past 15 years, Suncor Energy and the Suncor Energy Foundation have contributed more than $190 million to charitable and non-profit organizations in Canada and internationally.
- In 2014 we spent more than $150 million to support research and development of technology targeting environmental performance improvements.
- reducing our GHG emissions intensity;
- building greater mutual trust and respect so that Aboriginal Peoples play a larger role in energy development in Canada; and
- extending our commitment to water conservation by acknowledging our responsibility to balance our water requirements with the need to maintain a clean, safe, and plentiful supply for current and future generations.
Our new sustainability goals aim to stretch our thinking and our performance so we can continue making a positive contribution in key areas important to Canadians and Suncor, including climate change and social prosperity in our communities. These areas of focus are important to the sustainability of our company, our communities and the country we all share.
Find out more about our social goal.