Proposed Steam Assisted Gravity Drainage (SAGD) oil sands development
Meadow Creek is a joint venture between Suncor and CNOOC Petroleum North America ULC with Suncor as the operator.
Current plans for this joint venture include two independent in situ projects: Meadow Creek East and Meadow Creek West.
Meadow Creek East will be developed in two stages with anticipated production of nominally 60,000 barrels per day (bpd) up to approximately 80,000 bpd. Meadow Creek West will be developed in one stage with an anticipated production of 40,000 (bpd). Both of these facilities will be operational for 40 or more years.
Project facilities for both projects will include central processing plants, cogeneration, well pads, electrical power lines, storage tanks, pipelines and access roads. Other infrastructure that may be constructed to support the projects includes borrow pits, laydown yards and lodges.
Suncor has deferred the sanctioning decision for Meadow Creek East and Meadow Creek west until 2023 at the earliest.
We are committed to developing and maintaining positive, meaningful relationships with stakeholders.
We provide stakeholders with opportunities to participate in an open and transparent consultation process that facilitates engagement, participation and input into both the Meadow Creek projects. We will provide regular updates to stakeholders as the projects progress.
Conceptual reclamation plans for both Meadow Creek East and West are outlined within our applications. We are committed to ultimately returning all lands disturbed by our oil sands mining and in situ operations to a self-sustaining boreal forest ecosystem.
We work with governments, industry and community groups to develop a coordinated, long-term approach to address social and economic effects of oil sands development.
Our investment in both of the Meadow Creek projects will benefit nearby communities through:
- employment opportunities
- promotion of economic growth and contracting opportunities
- valuable revenues for governments
- education and training
- community investment
Application and supporting documents
Meadow Creek East:
- Public notice of application
- Supporting documents (Enter application number 1841092)
- Meadow Creek East Alberta Energy Regulator – Annual Project Report 2019 (PDF, 5 pages, 143 KB)
- Meadow Creek East Alberta Energy Regulator – Annual Project Report 2020 (PDF, 5 pages, 154 KB)
- Meadow Creek East Alberta Energy Regulator – Annual Project Report 2021 (PDF, 3 pages, 135 KB)
- Meadow Creek East Alberta Energy Regulator – Annual Project Report 2022 (PDF, 4 pages, 157 KB)
Meadow Creek West:
- Meadow Creek West Alberta Energy Regulator – Annual Project Report 2020 (PDF, 4 pages, 96 KB)
- Meadow Creek West Alberta Energy Regulator – Annual Project Report 2021 (PDF, 3 pages, 130 KB)
- Meadow Creek West Alberta Energy Regulator – Annual Project Report 2022 (PDF, 4 pages, 142 KB)