President and Chief Executive Officer
Mark Little is president and chief executive officer of Suncor Energy Inc.
Mark joined Suncor in 2008 as senior vice president, Strategic Growth and Energy Trading before becoming the senior vice president of integration following Suncor’s merger with Petro‑Canada. Mark has also served as senior vice president, International and Offshore; executive vice president, Oil Sands; executive vice president Upstream; president, Upstream; and chief operating officer. In these roles, Mark’s accountabilities have spanned from operations in the Wood Buffalo region to operations in offshore East Coast Canada, the North Sea, and international onshore operations in Latin America, North Africa and the Near East, where he oversaw significant improvements in efficiency and performance, as well as portfolio growth. Mark has over 34 years of international energy industry experience, including 23 years at Imperial/Exxon.
A previous member of the Accenture Global Energy Board and formerly the Chair of Syncrude Canada, Mark is a current member of the board of governors of the Canadian Association of Petroleum Producers (CAPP) where he also serves as a member of the Executive Committee and the Oil Sands CEO Council. In June 2020, Mark was named Resources of the Future chair on the Government of Canada’s Industry Strategy Council.
Born and raised in Calgary, Mark holds a science degree from the University of Calgary and an applied petroleum engineering technology degree from the Southern Alberta Institute of Technology (SAIT). He is also a graduate of the advanced management program at Harvard Business School. Mark has an Honorary bachelor of business administration degree from the Southern Alberta Institute of Technology (SAIT) and was awarded the Canadian Engineering Leader Award from the Schulich School of Engineering at the University of Calgary in 2020. From 2003 to 2007 he served as Honorary Colonel for the 409 and 441 Tactical Fighter Squadrons at 4 Wing Airforce Base in Cold Lake, Alta., a role that reflected his commitment to the relationship between the Air Force, the community and industry.
- Building Momentum – May 10, 2022 at Suncor Annual General Meeting in Calgary, Alberta
- Powering our purpose: Trusted energy through turbulent times – May 4, 2021 at Suncor Annual General Meeting in Calgary, Alberta
- Delivering results and building resilience through purpose – May 6, 2020 at Suncor Annual General Meeting in Calgary, Alberta
- Strength and resiliency in volatile times – Sept. 4, 2019 at Barclays CEO Energy/Power Conference in New York City, New York
- Our time: stability through volatility – May 2, 2019 at Suncor Annual General Meeting in Calgary, Alberta
Community and industry leadership roles
- Recipient, Honorary bachelor of business administration degree, Southern Alberta Institute of Technology (2020)
- Recipient, Canadian Engineering Leader Award, Schulich School of Engineering, University of Calgary (2020)
- Chair, Resources of the Future Table, Industry Strategy Council, Government of Canada (June 2020 – present)
- Member, Oil Sands CEO Council, Canadian Association of Petroleum Producers (May 2019 – present)
- Board member, Business Council of Canada (May 2019 – present)
- Member, Canadian Association of Petroleum Producers Board of Governors (October 2018 – present)
- Member, executive committee, Canadian Association of Petroleum Producers (October 2018 – present)
- Co-chair, Aboriginal Procurement Campaign, Canadian Council for Aboriginal Business (May 2018 – present)
- Founding board member, Energy Safety Canada (2017 – 2019)
- Member, Accenture Global Energy Board (October 2016 – 2019)
- Chair, Syncrude Canada (April 2016 – October 2018)
- Chair, Oil Sands Safety Association (2014-2017)
- Member, Oil Sands Safety Association (2011 – 2014)
- Keyano College Board of Governors (July 2011 – July 2014)