Suncor Energy helps create strong, vibrant communities through United Way
Collectively, team members contributed nearly $4.3 million, including money raised through company-endorsed United Way events. With additional funds provided by the Suncor Energy Foundation and Suncor Energy U.S.A., Suncor's total investment is more than $6.2 million. Financial contributions will help the United Way to sustain their many programs and provide support to the members of our communities who need it most.
"When we consider the events of this past year, from world-wide disasters like the earthquake in Japan to civil unrest in North Africa and the Middle East, it’s easy to be thankful that we live in places with access to many luxuries and an abundance of natural resources,” says Steve Williams, chief operating officer and Suncor’s 2011 United Way executive champion. “But even in our local communities, there are individuals and families experiencing challenges that are difficult to overcome without the help of others.”
Investing in communities continues to be a core value for Suncor, but it is Suncor’s employees who truly lead the way when it comes to connecting with and strengthening communities. This year, countless Suncor employees committed many hours to champion the regional employee-led campaigns that were vital to Suncor’s company-wide success.
“A key part of our commitment to the United Way is our employee led campaign. Through this campaign employees are encourage to learn about the pressing needs in their community and to contribute to the causes they care about,” said Williams.
- Suncor employees in Fort McMurray raised over to $2.1 million, including a $450,000 contribution from the Suncor Energy Foundation, which will go to over 20 agencies and 50 programs supported by the United Way.
- More than 203 Suncor employees from Mississauga, Oakville and Sarnia climbed the 1776 steps and 144 floors of the CN Tower in support of the United Way this year. With help from the Suncor Energy Foundation and employees in Flamborough, the total contribution in Ontario amounted to more than $1.5 million.
- To kick-off this year’s Calgary campaign, nearly 70 employees participated in the flash-mob that performed in front of Suncor Energy Centre. An online auction, poker tournament and street hockey challenge rounded out Calgary campaign events this year. The total contribution in Calgary was approximately $1.5 million.
- In Edmonton, employees from Suncor’s refinery, pipeline group, rack forward initiative and major projects team all rallied around the cause. Combined with a contribution from the Suncor Energy Foundation, more than $275,000 was raised in support of the United Way of Alberta Capital Region.
- Special events at the Montreal refinery yielded $175,000 in support for the Centraide of Greater Montreal, a 45% increase over last year. Employee donations, together with an investment from the Suncor Energy Foundation, resulted in more than $330,000 raised.
- In St. John’s, employees organized a very successful 2011 campaign which surpassed last year’s total raised by more than 20%. Together with the Suncor Energy Foundation, the east coast campaign contributed nearly $100,000 to United Way of Newfoundland and Labrador.
- The Suncor U.S.A. 2011 United Way campaign raised nearly $175,000 through special events, employee donations and Suncor's corporate donation.
Suncor Energy Inc. is Canada’s premier integrated energy company. Suncor’s operations include oil sands development and upgrading, conventional and offshore oil and gas production, petroleum refining, and product marketing under the Petro-Canada brand. While working to responsibly develop petroleum resources, Suncor is also developing a growing renewable energy portfolio. Suncor’s common shares (symbol: SU) are listed on the Toronto and New York stock exchanges.
The Suncor Energy Foundation is a private, non-profit charitable foundation established to receive Suncor’s contributions and support registered Canadian charitable organizations. Funded entirely by Suncor, the Foundation seeks unique opportunities to build sustainable communities through effective collaborations and to enhance the quality of life in key operating areas. To help communities achieve greater sustainability, the Suncor Energy Foundation has developed five integrated funding priorities which include cultivating community leaders, building skills and knowledge, inspiring innovation, engaging citizens and collaborating for a shared energy future. Since its inception in 1998, the Foundation has contributed more than $74 million to Canadian communities.
- 30 -
For more information about Suncor Energy Inc. please visit our web site at www.suncor.com.