Responding to COVID-19
Responding to COVID-19
Supporting our people. Caring for our communities. Living our purpose. #StrongerTogether
Caring for each other is at the heart of our purpose at Suncor. As we navigate through these extraordinary circumstances, the safety and well-being of our people, our families and our community are of the utmost importance to us.
We are focused on providing trusted energy through these uncertain times, ensuring that critical services are provided safely and reliably. We are committed to providing services in our communities that are essential to keeping our lives moving.
Suncor’s response management teams and our senior leaders continue to connect daily to navigate through these unprecedented circumstances. We are focused on the well-being of our people, families, and our community. With global efforts now firmly focused on doing all we can to “flatten the curve,” we understand the responsibility we have as an organization and the role we can play in contributing to this goal. With that in mind, we have chosen to take the following additional steps:
- In support of national efforts to stop the spread of COVID-19, we have donated 40,000 N95 masks to the Canadian Federal Government. The Government identified communities that critically need these supplies: Nunavut, the Northwest Territories and the Yukon. During the weekend of March 27, we distributed the masks to these communities. It is our honour to be able to play our part alongside all Canadians in caring for each other through these challenging times.
- We have transitioned staffing levels to essential personnel only until further notice at all our operations and offices. The work and contribution of all our employees matters. What we’re trying to ensure is that the only people on site or in the offices are those who absolutely need to be there to do their job and keep critical operations running safely and reliably. These are the roles we’re calling “essential.” Employees who are able to work from home have been asked to do so, and all employees are receiving guidance from their leaders as to how this change affects them and their work.
- We have tightened our travel restrictions even further with additional screening measures and compulsory self-isolation measures for employees who have traveled outside their country of residence or been exposed to confirmed COVID-19 cases.
- Precautions are being taken to ensure health and safety on all transportation to Suncor sites, including increased cleaning and sanitization protocols and reducing the number of passengers on buses and charter flights. We’ve also implemented temperature checks at a number of our sites, offices, and northbound flight departures.
- In lodges, we have worked with our service providers to increase the frequency and intensity of cleaning and have moved to full service cafeterias and individually packaged items to reduce touchpoints and interactions. All common areas, including gyms have been closed and we’ve eliminated double-occupancy washrooms to further reduce interactions and touchpoints.
- At Petro-Canada stations we have increased cleaning and sanitizing procedures, especially in high touch areas, have reduced contact points in our stores by closing all fountain pop and slush machines, and are supporting our partners, like A&W, as they move to take-out service only.
Our Purpose – To provide trusted energy that enhances people’s lives, while caring for each other and the earth – calls on us to act together to help reduce the spread of the virus and the burden on public health organizations, even as we ensure that we are able to continue providing services and products that are essential for society.
We are bolstered by the unity across our community and the solidarity across the world. We continue to encourage you to support global efforts to limit the impact of COVID-19 with good hygiene practices, physical distancing, and with care and consideration for the people around you.