As Canada’s leading integrated energy company, we know that, together with our stakeholders, we need to look beyond the energy needs of today and understand what is required for the future. Sustainability is about seeing the big picture and working together towards better, more sustainable solutions.
- Suncor is tackling both global and regional environmental issues, such as greenhouse gas emissions (GHG), land use, reclamation, water use and air quality.
- We work with industry, governments and communities to earn and maintain the trust of residents in communities where we operate. We have a Canadian Aboriginal relations policy and strategy which takes into account Indigenous Peoples’ interests regarding the opportunities and impacts of energy development.
- We're investing in renewable energy – four operating wind power projects and Canada's largest ethanol plant. We also invest in clean technology companies and venture capitalists such as ArcTern Ventures, Enerkem, Evok, LanzaTech and others.
- In 2019 we invested $830 million in technology development and deployment and digital technologies. Emissions-related technology development was approximately 50% of the technology development spend including solvents, upgrading technologies and biofuels.
- Since the Suncor Energy Foundation’s (SEF) inception in 1998, Suncor and SEF have contributed close to $360 million to charitable and non-profit organizations in Canada and internationally. SEF is a private, charitable foundation established to receive Suncor's contributions and support registered Canadian charitable organizations.
- reducing our GHG emissions intensity
- building greater mutual trust and respect so that Indigenous Peoples play a larger role in energy development in Canada
Our sustainability goals aim to stretch our thinking and our performance so we can continue making a positive contribution in key areas important to Canadians and Suncor, including climate change and social prosperity in our communities. These areas of focus are important to the sustainability of our company, our communities and the country we all share.
Find out more about our social goal