Suncor, and our private, non-profit, charitable organization, the Suncor Energy Foundation (SEF), seek to provide investments that create value for society, and for our business, by addressing community issues of mutual interest to Suncor in a way that seeks solutions and benefits all. Our vision is to create a better world with the communities in which Suncor operates, and with those who are courageously seeking solutions and making a positive difference in society.
- that sustainable, resilient communities cultivate environmental, social and economic well-being
- in learning and changing with the communities in which we operate
- in the capacity of all people to create and implement solutions to complex challenges that impact society
- in the value of bringing people together to create and implement solutions
- in being courageous and facilitating honest conversations
- in the value of diverse perspectives
- that we are a member of community and part of creating and implementing solutions
- that we can make a difference and we can be different
In order to be a trusted and engaged partner, we add value to our investments in community by adhering to the following principles:
- We connect innovators across systems and sectors, and within Suncor, to build relationships that help amplify program impacts and translate knowledge
- We value diverse perspectives and are open to different ways of knowing so that we can work with people, processes and programs that enable us to address complex issues in a solutions-oriented way
- We recognize and work with the strengths and capabilities within Suncor to help advance sustainable solutions for resilient communities
We foster mutual benefit by combining community and Suncor strengths to co-create social, economic and environmental solutions. We do so by working collaboratively, shifting mindsets and developing the necessary competencies for a sustainable future.
- Support communities to adapt and flourish when change requires new skills, mindsets, capabilities and approaches
- Amplify youth and community leadership so that they are prepared to guide and influence the future
- Co-create innovative solutions that address our shared challenges and opportunities and allow us to create the conditions for success and action
- Leverage the interests, strengths and capabilities of our employees to contribute to their community and help create solutions to complex issues
- Support communities near our operations to address their unique and specific needs that align with community priorities and business needs
We invest in communities in three ways:
- Charitable donations: the Suncor Energy Foundation contributes to registered Canadian charities in alignment with our funding priorities and in alignment with our eligibility criteria. Learn more about our funding priorities.
- Sponsorship: Suncor supports non-profit activities and events, including within our funding priorities, by providing financial assistance, product or in-kind contributions in Canada and internationally in alignment with our eligibility criteria. Learn more about our funding priorities.
- SunCares employee program: The charitable giving and volunteer efforts of our employees and retirees strengthen the communities in which Suncor operates. To support their efforts, the SunCares employee program recognizes, and supplements, their community work and charitable giving. Learn more about SunCares and how to participate.